The Accompanying Card grants free passage to anyone accompanying a person with a disability, throughout the intercity bus system in the province of Québec, without extra fees or complicated procedures.
La Bus Carriers Federation and its members, in collaboration with the Office des personnes handicapées du Québec (OPHQ) and the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ), are offering the Accompanying Card for Intercity Bus Sercice in Québec Province (Carte québécoise à l’accompagnement en transport interurbain par autocar). This card is the only one recognized by the intercity bus carriers of the province.
- Accompanying Card application form
- Accompanying Card renewal form
- Accompanying Card brochure
- For a change of address
- For any other question
This card is for anyone aged eight and over residing in Quebec and with permanent disabilities who need to be accompanied for their intercity journeys. This card will allow them to obtain, without any additional charges and without a complicated procedure, the free transport for their accompanying person, and this, throughout the intercity bus system of the province of Québec.
The intercity bus transportation is becoming more open to people with disabilities. But there are still some limitations, some personal intimate needs that cannot be met by the carriers. Therefore, you may need a person who can compensate for those limitations.
Your accompanying person must be aged at least 14 and have the capacity to answer your needs, without taking the place of the staff of carrier, terminus or service point and without assuming tasks that are normally performed by this staff.
- Incapacity to move around on your own in order to travel on intercity buses;
- Incapacity to orient yourself in time and space for a trip as a whole;
- Incapacity to communicate verbally or by gestures;
- Incapacity to ensure your own safety;
- Incapacity to control behaviors that may be prejudicial to your own safety or to the safety of the other travelers.
In some cases, a section of the form must be completed and signed by a health care professional.
As a disabled person, holder of an Accompanying Card, you agree to use your card honestly, according to your real accompanying needs. You cannot lend or give your card for use by any other person.
You must complete the Form provided for this purpose and get a confirmation, if necessary, of your limitations and of your “permanent” need to be accompanied in intercity transport.
You must send the completed form, with your photography, to the Bus Carriers Federation who will evaluate your eligibility and issue your card, within four (4) to six (6) weeks. In the case of a refusal, you will be informed of the decision and the reasons. In this case, you may apply for a revision to the Federation, within 30 days after receipt of the decision.
No, there is no charge for the Accompanying Card. The Bus Carriers Federation, l'Office des personnes handicapées du Québec (OPHQ), the Ministère des Transports du Québec and the intercity carrier members financially support the program. They are offering this product to facilitate your intercity coach journeys.
The card will be valid for a 5 years period. The expiration date is written on it.
A renewal proposal will be sent to your address on file before the expiration date. It is your responsibility to inform us of any change of address and telephone. The renewal will be done only upon receipt of your answer. A lack of follow-up on your part will force you to make a new application.
This card must be presented by the cardholder (i.e. the person with permanent disability) at the time of purchase of his/her ticket for a travel in an intercity bus with one of the bus transportation companies offering this service (see list below). On presentation of the card, the staff will issue a ticket free of charge for the accompanying person.
- Autobus Breton Inc. (418) 228-8096
- Autobus Laterrière inc. (418) 549-2463
- Autobus Maheux ltée (819) 797-3200
- Autobus Tremblay & Tremblay (418) 549-2463
- Autocars Orléans Express inc. (833) 449-6444
- Brissette & Frères ltée (450) 759-3554
- Galland Laurentides (450) 687-8666
- Intercar inc. (418) 627-9108
- Autocars Saguenay (418) 627-9108
- Paul Tremblay Transport (418) 673-4603
- Transdev Québec inc. (514) 666-8899
- Autocars Gaudreault (450) 759-3554